Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Phillips IQon Pc

Help with Phillips IQon Pc

Hi all

I have a Phillips IQon Pc,

Let's get to the point, it's buggered

The other day programs stopped responding so I ended the processes on the programs I had running (WMP, IE & BT Yahoo Browser)

Then no programs would open, so I held the power button until the computer turned off, then turned it back on (There's no reset button)

Now when it gets to the "Windows XP Loading" screen, as soon as it hits that screen a blue message pops up but it flashes so fast I cant read it. Then the computer restarts. It does this all the time. I've tried the F10 Pc Angel which is installed but that just sticks on loading.

Is this just a registry problem or something more serious? The Pc was new in september 05 but I can't find any disks for it.

Any help greatly appreciated as i'm not enjoying using this old one i'm on now!

Cheers

Jord, try hitting f5 (or whatever the setup button is when you switch on the pc) then go onto startup, and click start up with last known good configuration. Try that

Quote Originally Posted by Craig90
    Jord, try hitting f5 (or whatever the setup button is when you switch on the pc) then go onto startup, and click start up with last known good configuration. Try that
    It restarts then the bit comes up where you can choose last known good config, safe mode etc. I've tried them all...

Cheers

Hi Jord.

Listen to the hard drive and see if you can hear it trying to read the disk, if you have a corrupt or bad sector in the system area it will give those symtoms.

If so then you will need a win xp (maybe oem) cd to repair the installation.

back-up dics will fix it without any files or programs being deleted..or in my case (and Yours) i had to just format the pc and reload XP

As with all IQon Pc's they dont come with any disks as everything is pre-loaded

S'pose that's what you get with buying a £400 computer from tescos...

hey mate when you buy any new pc pre loaded they have to supply the discs, if you haven't any for sure then you'llneed a copy of XP to reinstall.

i would bet it's got something to do with you're ram, before you go diving into the case you can try something else, if they did not send you backup disks that means they have a restore setup on another partition on you're hard drive, most of the time you should be able to go in to bios and change the boot order to hit the restore partition before it starts to load windows.....

if none of that will work, and nobody you know can let you borrow their windows disks then i would move on to the ram, with the computer off and unplugged pull the case cover off (left side only if possible) right by where you're cd roms cable's / power cords but on the mother board will be the ram, with one hand ALWAYS on the case use you're other hand to remove one piece of ram at a time, keeping you're hand on the case will keep you grounded to the case so you dont zap the ram with static elec....

after you remove one piece of ram set it on something like paper to be sure it's safe, if the ram gets hit with even a little static electricity it could be damaged...

with one piece of ram out plug in and try to boot up windows, repeat this for each piece of ram replacing 1 as you pull another, with any luck 1 piece is all thats damaged and when removed the computer should fire up...

if this doesnt help let me know and we can work from there, the ram is the most common BSOD cause but it is not the ONLY cause, so this is why I would start with the ram....

i do know a little about computers, i happen to be Comptia A+ and N+ as well as Microsoft MCP MCSE and MCDBA certified....

good luck!
    Last edited by nickj; 04-05-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickj
    i would bet it's got something to do with you're ram, before you go diving into the case you can try something else, if they did not send you backup disks that means they have a restore setup on another partition on you're hard drive, most of the time you should be able to go in to bios and change the boot order to hit the restore partition before it starts to load windows.....

if none of that will work, and nobody you know can let you borrow their windows disks then i would move on to the ram, with the computer off and unplugged pull the case cover off (left side only if possible) right by where you're cd roms cable's / power cords but on the mother board will be the ram, with one hand ALWAYS on the case use you're other hand to remove one piece of ram at a time, keeping you're hand on the case will keep you grounded to the case so you dont zap the ram with static elec....

after you remove one piece of ram set it on something like paper to be sure it's safe, if the ram gets hit with even a little static electricity it could be damaged...

with one piece of ram out plug in and try to boot up windows, repeat this for each piece of ram replacing 1 as you pull another, with any luck 1 piece is all thats damaged and when removed the computer should fire up...

if this doesnt help let me know and we can work from there, the ram is the most common BSOD cause but it is not the ONLY cause, so this is why I would start with the ram....

i do know a little about computers, i happen to be Comptia A+ and N+ as well as Microsoft MCP MCSE and MCDBA certified....

good luck!

Thanks very much for that, just got to pluck up the courage to do it! might just end up taking it to the repair shop so I don't do more damage..

cheers though!

2 words not good. Im thinking its the same prob my pc has had last week i tryed everything then i realised its really bad so i took it to the shop well any pc shop will do it and they made a real good job of making it better again lol.
    wilko

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy_911
    2 words not good. Im thinking its the same prob my pc has had last week i tryed everything then i realised its really bad so i took it to the shop well any pc shop will do it and they made a real good job of making it better again lol.
    wilko

How much did they charge mate?

Cheers

Bout £50 i think.
    wilko
    probs depend on where u go thou.

dont know if it's just me but that sounds like WAY to much money for a task that will take 10 minutes, the ram is held in by to small clips, one at each end of the ram, as you push them away from the ram it will push the ram out for you, take note of which side is up, it will only fit in one way but it's best to just take note as it comes out, then to put it back in you set it in the slot straight and push the ram down one side at a time and as you push the ram down the clips will grab the ram on their own....

another thing you may be able to try, right now im in front of a hp m390 and when rebooting at the same time as it tell's you what button to hit to go into bios it should also have another button you can hit to start a restore, it's because the newer factory computers use branded bios's, made custom by hp or compaq or whichever brand it is...

sorry something else i should have said, if you don't feel secure about messing with the hardware it really would be best to let some one else handle it, even 100 gbp's is less than the cost of a new machine so please don't let me push you into something that may harm the computer...

but we can try all kinds of things with the software, if it's not booting at least things cant get any worse, and no matter what you will always have the restore partition as long as you don't format it...

The only thing im worried about is ive been reading on the net about this particular machine (Phillips IQon)

They come pre-loaded with all software and a "PC Angel" which when you tap f10 repeatedly, comes up with an option to format the computer to factory which would be ace. Ive done this once when we got riddled with viruses and it ran brill after that. But now when I do this the Pc Angel just sticks on loading.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast