Thread: Road legal pit bikes

Road legal pit bikes

I'm interested in buying a pit bike and registering it for the road, im not sure which one to go for yet, as every time i think ive made up my mind, some one else brings out a newer better cheaper model. im looking at www.db-minix.co.uk at the moment, so rather than buying an older bike already registered, i'd like to do it myself, anyone out there done this yet. if so could you give me advise on how to go about it, and roughly how much it cost? cheers.

For that money, isnt a real Thump or X-sport a better call......?
    I'm interested in going road legal on one as well, but since you would be spending well more than a grand, there are some damn fine second hand road bikes going for that money.
    Im just thinking as an actual road transport tool, i'd rather have something with Honda or Aprilia on the (comfortably sized) side, and keep the pitbikes for the off-roading.
    But if it's what you want, tell me how it turns out mate.

i've got a honda fireblade for going scarily fast and a malagti phantom 100cc scoooter for practicality. and ive had various trials bikes, scramblers and mopeds, but the most fun i've had are on little fun bikes i was thinking about a monkey bike but i like the idea of a 3 valve 125cc four stroke. the db mini has upside down forks and is £600 cheaper than the thumpster equivilent which seem to have a few problems.

i have an x sport cr3 125 for sale, its done 8 miles from new, if anyones interested, dave

check www.pitbikeclub.co.uk out i have a review on that model

Quote Originally Posted by darvo
    i have an x sport cr3 125 for sale, its done 8 miles from new, if anyones interested, dave
    how much ya selling it 4

Its from 2006.

this is cut and pasted from ktm forum but if you want to start from scratch this is how to do it

This is how to register an off road MX type bike on a daytime MOT; it getís your bike legally on the road

1) Get a certificate of newness ( for an age related plate)If you want it on an age related plate then get a certificate of newness (for KTM you just call up www ktm.co uk on 01280 709500 and ask the person that anwers the phone that you want a certificate of newness; they will will then give you there email address ; email them with the frame & engine No, make and model of bike; and your address. Its free and they usually post it within a couple of days

2) Get it on a daytime MOT

You can get a Daytime MOT from any bike MOT station. Remove any lights unless they are fully working for a daytime MOT all you need is a reflector at the back of the bike for the day / road legal tyres and a horn ( get the £10 mega horn from Halfords) horn) thatís it; clearly your bike need to be road worthy i.e. no oil leaks; good brakes etc etc just book it in and get your MOT!

If you want a full MOT you will need tail light and brake might operated by both front and rear levers; front light with main beam and dip.

3) Insurance
    Get insurance on the frame number (Carol Nash will do this for two weeks; you then have to give them the plate No when registered; make sure you can get to the DVLA within 2 weeks of insuring it or they will cancel your policy.

4) The DVLA
    Go on the internet and download a V55/5 from the www dvla.gov.uk there website or you can get one over the phone. When you get this fill it in with the obvious boxes but make sure you put it down as a 'enduro bike' you don't need to fill out all the emmssions info / power to weight etc etc, you donít need to fill out things to do with the MSVA test.

Just fill out your details; bike info make, colour, ccís etc.

go to your local DVLA without the bike first but with all your paperwork ( inc passport and utility bill) you pay them £88ish which includes your tax for a year

when you are there on your first visit you will need to book the bike in for a inspection

go back on your inspection date; they measure seat height and ground clearance - thats all; and will tell you on the day of inspection its registration Number and give you a tax disc

5) Give the registration number to your insurance company
    And get a cool plate made up for your new bike

6) Your Log book
    wait about 1 week and your log book will come through; just check the frame and engine number are correct.

7) Wheelie like a nutter on your new road bike - Happy Days!!

Sounds simple, but it's not for a minibike As it says it relates to height and ground clearance and certificate of newness or dating certificate is hard to sort on Chinese rubbish! A MSVA test would more than likely be required,so not worth the hassle Unless it's a Honda or similar over ten years old Very old thread by the way!

it's a guide for any bike as long as you have a chassis number and if you don't you can get one from dvla too, the certificate of newness bit is for age plates, if you don't want one, or can't get a certificate it goes on a q plate,
    will have to look at the dates on these threads in future though