PDA

View Full Version : Noise

sycomoto
09-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Just a quick question regards noise. Minimotos and metrakits are pretty easy to get down to to an acceptable noise level by just repacking the exhaust but has anyone had much successes in bringing a pitbike down to a similar level. I ask because I've spoken to a number of kart tracks who would happily run events for us but couldn't due to the noise level of the pitbikes. How do you guys feel about bringing the noise down on your bikes if it ment you'd get to race on new tracks. Would you be willing to do some work on your bikes or even buy another silencer if you got to race on tracks we've never been to before. I'm not talking about getting them down to electric bike levels of sound but down to say 95db
Lets hear your thoughts.

HugheskiRacing
09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Matchams Pitbike series run modded C90 exhausts & have kept running for a number of years now it was this way or no bikes.

sycomoto
10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
And fair play to them. Noise is becoming an issue at most tracks across the country. I've spoken to a number of trax that would happily host an event if we can ensure we get down to the required noise limit. I just wanted to get the feelings from the pitbike riders and see if they would be willing to do the work on their bike to get the chance to race at new trax.

HugheskiRacing
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
& there lies the problem.....riders don't want quiet bikes

sycomoto
10-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Which is why we end up racing at the same two tracks month in month out. Plus next year those two tracks will also have to bend to the noise limits imposed so hen there will be nowhere to race. Maybe if the pitbikes want to have a championship to race then they really need to look at how to bring the noise down.

baddad
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
As you may know for 2014 we will be introducing sound reduction regulations - we have tested several systems such as db reducers etc and all the ones tested brought the level below the required Msa regulations - they cost anywhere from 7 to 25 but will have to be installed if racing with us. We have several new tracks for 2014 and all want the noise level down to Msa levels this also now includes Whilton Mill.

Skefs
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Is that just for the pitbikes?????? Are any of the new tracks in the south west field or are they still north east????

baddad
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM
We are talking to several in the south but hard going and that's mainly because of noise. Yes the mini Motos and metrakits will need to below the Msa level as well. This is coming at all tracks as the councils are beginning to enforce it so really we dont have any choice so might as well embrace it and be proactive.

baddad
10-07-2013, 04:25 PM
The tests we have done so far are with Pitbikes but we will be doing tests on mini Motos Etc soon.

Any input is greatly received.

Skefs
10-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Fair enough it was only a matter of time till bored people with no hobbies try and ruin those who have a passion for one!!!! But if it keeps said people off our backs then I'm all for it, do you reckon it will restrict power much, saying that you did say that you were only testing at the moment, please keep us all informed on progress, prices etc saying that 25 isn't that bad after all you only have to buy it once!

sycomoto
10-07-2013, 05:28 PM
In fairness skefs even if it knocks abit of power off its going to be a level field as everyone else will have to do the same. I've done some work on the minimotos and its pretty easy to bring the noise down by just packing the exhaust with glass matt packing and making sure its nice n tight. The Metrakit should be similar. The only real issue with the Metrakit is the **** fit between the pipe and the exhaust port stubb but its not to hard to fix.

Bullit
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
We are talking to several in the south but hard going and that's mainly because of noise. Yes the mini Motos and metrakits will need to below the Msa level as well. This is coming at all tracks as the councils are beginning to enforce it so really we dont have any choice so might as well embrace it and be proactive.

Just out of curiosity what is MSA? And what is the level?

sycomoto
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Msa is the karting governing body and the noise limit is 100db.

Bullit
10-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Msa is the karting governing body and the noise limit is 100db.

Ok thanks for that.
How is it measured? Standing at idle, held at XXXrpm or full throttle on a drive by?

For a car SVA test its Xrpm at Xdistance at Xangle

Only asking as if its gona become part of the rules I'd like to sort it sooner rather than later. My 98 Honda cbr600 was 96db in standard trim and that was pretty quiet imo.

sycomoto
10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Well as far as I can gather its measured from 1.5mtrs above the track with the bike at 75% throttle or something like that. As for noise it's exponential and every 2db is around double the volume. So to go from 100db to 98db you'd have to halve the noise. I think that's how it works.