PDA

View Full Version : Best gearing for indoor track plus tyres.

Thumperslaw
14-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Afternoon gent's

What's the best gearing for indoor track (swindon) I guess bigger rear sprocket more go but loose top end speed.

Also after looking around on here am guessing the junior tyres are the soft gripping ones to have.

1armbaker
14-01-2013, 04:14 PM
juniours r the tyres to have pretty much any track i run 6-70/72/74

Thumperslaw
14-01-2013, 04:20 PM
I thought you might say that! Had to sit down when I saw the price!
Shame they don't fit on my tyre changing machine tho :)

I think I have stock gearing on mine at the moment so I'll roll with that and change after.

1armbaker
14-01-2013, 05:33 PM
i use tyre levers for them easy as chips looking 38-40 each well worth it

davet
14-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi is there a track in Swindon were Minimotos have track time? I use to go to one on a air field just past the M4.

alboy
14-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi is there a track in Swindon were Minimotos have track time? I use to go to one on a air field just past the M4.

That would be M4 karting or (hully) as we call it.

Gearing for indoor depends on straight length but I use 6 on the front and about a 72 on the back for hully, I wouldn't go to much higher than that if I were you.

I use the juniors, I hear that the r's can over heat when ridden very hard for prolonged periods, but I haven't tried them.

Hope that helps

HugheskiRacing
14-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Do you mean Wroughton Dave?

jibberwobble
14-01-2013, 08:27 PM
I hear whisperings about wroughton being interested again so might pop up there for a nose n chat. It would have to be once a month or bi weekly to survive though I would think.

At hullavington - Juniors not Junior R's are the correct tyres. If you are not ballistic you'll get away with junior R's for a while (until all the crap off the track sticks to em), if you are ballistic they will be hoovering up all the marbles after a couple of laps!

If you're talking about wroughton (swindon) it's tarmac and a wider range of tyres will work but minimoto's have no track time there as far as I know.

What bike have you got? If it's a chinese aircooled thing (CAG) just run it with the chinky tyres for now as they aint too bad at hullavington. If you have T41's on there - they are the same compound as juniors and having a junior tread pattern cut into them will make em work if you dont want to buy new.

simon
15-01-2013, 08:00 AM
yeah as said you want 6 on the front and either 68/70 or possably 72 on the rear , sprockets usually cost about 15 so its cheap and easy enought to swap them over.
Tyres for hully is Juniors but expect to pay 90 for a pair. the other options are what jibberwobble has said where you can get away with using others but they dont tend to be as good.

Thumperslaw
15-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I hear whisperings about wroughton being interested again so might pop up there for a nose n chat. It would have to be once a month or bi weekly to survive though I would think.

At hullavington - Juniors not Junior R's are the correct tyres. If you are not ballistic you'll get away with junior R's for a while (until all the crap off the track sticks to em), if you are ballistic they will be hoovering up all the marbles after a couple of laps!

If you're talking about wroughton (swindon) it's tarmac and a wider range of tyres will work but minimoto's have no track time there as far as I know.

What bike have you got? If it's a chinese aircooled thing (CAG) just run it with the chinky tyres for now as they aint too bad at hullavington. If you have T41's on there - they are the same compound as juniors and having a junior tread pattern cut into them will make em work if you dont want to buy new.

Yep Chinese bike I got given to me the other day for free. Was going to ride it at hully but seems to be nicer mini moto's there. Mine just stayed in the car!
At the moment it's just got slicks and after going on friends blata with slicks (good fun for a minute) I'd rather buy some tread tyres. Hiring out the hully bikes was good fun and loads of smiles per lap!

Thumperslaw
15-01-2013, 09:15 AM
My mini moto at the moment.
Yes am spraying it Matt black (cheap)
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/yer_dude/4351F2CA-B34B-40C5-8372-8B25CA371BDF-9055-00000E5DAB94085B.jpg

Also had this left over from motorcycle build I did
Ok it's sad I know, I like it tho
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/yer_dude/83C9A8B7-64E1-49D6-BABE-6E374DCD8F5D-711-00000098CA77387B.jpg