PDA

View Full Version : ZPF Efco

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Well, something arrived for me the other day... I couldn't guess what it was... Can you?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/308_zps29f72557.jpg

It smelt like petrol and wasn't wrapped very well...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/310_zpsa361bc09.jpg

It was my new (vintage) ZPF with an Efco engine!!! I'm so glad it arrived cos I thought the EBAY seller was gonna dick me about but no, it came and sooner than I was expecting!!!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/319_zps9edb3741.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/314_zps47d8054a.jpg

There were a few problems with it - the carb was filthy, the fuel pipe was crushed between the frame and the fuel tank

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/330_zps17d2200c.jpg

The clutch is knackered (which I knew from the Ebay ad).

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/336_zps08dcb085.jpg

The shoes have no lining on them and the bell is knackered. It looks like someone has run it loose in the housing and worn out the shaft. The 6 tooth pinion also has no teeth on it (probably cos it's been run while wobbling around inside the housing) and has been welded inside the housing shaft.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/334_zpscd0e9b1a.jpg

This will need renewing.

#74 from this site used to run these bikes and says you can adapt the clutch to run a BZM style clutch and housing etc. I'll look into that soon. I want it to be as original as possible eventually as it'll be a shelf queen!!!

It also needs new tyres, the brake sorting out, the frame powdercoating, the plastics spraying etc... I've already got spare sets on order from Jibberwobble (cheers mate) but I recently bought one fairing from him while at Hully. I was gonna cut it to pieces and adapt it for a 910 but didn't luckily and then this little baby came along!!!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/ZPF%20Efco/339_zps962c2462.jpg

I'll update the renovation as it goes along so you can see the progress, Hopefully it won't cost too much!!! I'm sure it won't be a patch on some of the other builds on her but I'll do my best...

Thoughts anyone...

simsimmer
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Hi Andy, is that a proper ZPF efco fairing? If so it was meant to be!!

I was reading about these back in the day being as fast as a Polini 4.2 when set up nice!
It's going to be brill mate, can't wait to see it going again. Do you think you'll be going original colours or something funky?!!?? :)

Cheers Simon

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Cheers Simon, I forgot to say that it runs as well!!!! After cleaning the carb, fresh fuel and sorting the fuel line, cleaning the plug and sorting out the plug cap it started 3rd or 4th pull!!!! I was well chuffed - loads of compression and it doesn't have reeds (is it called piston ported???).

According to Jibber it is an original fairing (very thin but rigid) - I don't know about colours at the moment - all my other bikes are black which I quite like. What was the original colour scheme?

simsimmer
04-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Haha, that's brilliant that it runs too!!
A piston ported engine too,different again which is nice. If you take the engine to bits I'd love to see the inside of it. :)

Original colour might be red?? Lol

There's a nice green one with yellow wheels on google image search too. Add a bit of colour to your collection, I think these bikes can pull it off!

It has the same front mudguard,footpegs,yokes,brake/bracket and turny chain adjuster things as mine.

Cheers Simon

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 01:49 AM
I love the thought that this one is nearly 20 years old and still in good nick! It'll be sweet once it's done - theres also a nice orange one on google images which looks nice...

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 01:51 AM
The green and yellow one has been fully renovated hasn't it. I won't be going that far wih it I don't think...

jibberwobble
04-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Great project Cutts.

I've had those fairings for donkeys, didnt know what they were but got them as potential project donors. Only figured out they were efco when this bike came up and Cutts got interested so ended up doing some searching and discovered they were the same.

The seat unit on these things is very similar to a baby blata!

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Great project Cutts.

I've had those fairings for donkeys, didnt know what they were but got them as potential project donors. Only figured out they were efco when this bike came up and Cutts got interested so ended up doing some searching and discovered they were the same.

The seat unit on these things is very similar to a baby blata!

I've read on here that the Baby Blata's are based on/copied from these so that's why they're so similar!

jibberwobble
04-01-2013, 04:02 AM
Ah I see!

And thats a really poor effort at packaging you got there, lucky they let it on the van!

HugheskiRacing
04-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Andy if you want the original clutch relined let me have it mate

FERRINO
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
It looks great Andy! Great buy :) Fantastic bit of luck about Jase having the fairing too - what are the odds?!:eeek:

Really gutted I missed out on that classic old Stamas on Ebay a while back. That had the same engine with the carb at the front. I would have loved to do a restoration jobby on it and display it like you're going to with yours.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished article, have fun with it :D

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Ah I see!

And thats a really poor effort at packaging you got there, lucky they let it on the van!

I know!!! The seller hadn't even drained out the fuel! When I sliced the bin bag open the smell of fuel was awful! I also don't know how the delivery firm allowed it...

cuttsthedon
04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
It looks great Andy! Great buy :) Fantastic bit of luck about Jase having the fairing too - what are the odds?!:eeek:

Really gutted I missed out on that classic old Stamas on Ebay a while back. That had the same engine with the carb at the front. I would have loved to do a restoration jobby on it and display it like you're going to with yours.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished article, have fun with it :D

We could have started a vintage class with mine, yours and simsimmers!

FERRINO
12-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Any progress on this Andy?? Really interested to see how this turns out :yes:

By the way Jibber - you haven't got a front fairing for an early 1970's Dandy lying around in your spares too have you? :D:D;)

cuttsthedon
13-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Hi Tony
Not as yet as I'm currently concentrating on building a 910 for ma boy!!! I went to a car engineering firm in Bristol the other day and asked of he could make me a new clutch bell exactly the same as the original and showed it to him. He said "no - we don't do things like that" and sniggered when I said it was off of a Minimoto. The thing that pee'd me off was that the sign outside said "machining". Do companies NOT want any business these days? I can't believe times are so good that people can afford to turn any work away - he didn't even give me a stupidly high price and offer to do it but subcontract it out...
I'll try somewhere else when I've got some free time.

kempieno99
13-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Cuttsthedon there's plenty of machineists in Great Yarmouth fire some emails about to company's of pics and stuff :)

cuttsthedon
13-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Cuttsthedon there's plenty of machineists in Great Yarmouth fire some emails about to company's of pics and stuff :)

Cheers dude but I was just passing a local, well established firm and thought I'd ask them for a price. I was well peeved (as per previous post!!!). These days everyone seems to be pricing themselves out of people's reach. Soon the case will be if you can't do it yourself then you won't get it as you can't afford it!

jibberwobble
15-02-2013, 04:15 AM
By the way Jibber - you haven't got a front fairing for an early 1970's Dandy lying around in your spares too have you? :D:D;)

Been looking around in dark dusty corners and found..................a couple of hens teeth stuck in a dollop of rocking horse poo but no dandy fairings, sorry man!

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Guess what I've gone and done.....? :eeek: :spinny: :D

HugheskiRacing
30-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Bought another pile c**p??

tinxy
30-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Bought another 1 ??? :)

jibberwobble
30-09-2013, 10:05 PM
36 bargain rocket machine :)

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Bought another 1 ??? :)

:rolleye: Yay!!!!! 10 points to Tinxy but only 5 to Hugheski for being mean about the grandaddy of our sport!!!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/the-cuttster/IMG_1051_zps8330b0a5.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/the-cuttster/media/IMG_1051_zps8330b0a5.jpg.html)

This one's even nicer than the first! It seems all original and it's got some different bits to the other one I have. It runs but I think it needs a few tweaks to get it to start and run spot on!!!
I may have to pick the best bits from both of them and make one good one! I can't wait to see what it goes like... :yes:

tinxy
30-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Cheddar on Friday for a test run then ??:) need to get out on mine ASAP

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Definitely! - I'll see you there! Are you riding your Pasini???

tinxy
30-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah mate I mite take the mini pasini aswell I really like that bike now even tho it's stupidly small

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Sweet! - I can't decide which bikes to bring!!! C U Friday! Yeee Haaawww!!!

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 10:28 PM
36 bargain rocket machine :)

Those fairing will now come in doubly handy!!! - I'm glad I got a spare set! Love you Jibber...x

Daz
30-09-2013, 10:31 PM
You should come to Hully :p

jibberwobble
30-09-2013, 10:33 PM
No worries honey, I want a go on one of these old cronks sometime :yes:

Love you too

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 10:47 PM
No worries honey, I want a go on one of these old cronks sometime :yes:

Love you too

Wroughton next time - I'll bring it along!!!

cuttsthedon
30-09-2013, 10:51 PM
You should come to Hully :p

Cheddar's closer to me so I go there. I generally get there late so there's no chance of me getting to Hully on time!
I do go to Hully when there's an open day - is there one on the cards any time soon?

FERRINO
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Nice work Andy! Another good scoop there and for a cracking price, it looks in decent nick :D

I was watching that as well just out of interest to see what it went for - got a bargain there (ignore Hugheski - you know the historical value of these machines ;) lol)

Another one here for you if you fancy a trip oooop t'North :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Moto-Bike-/181228669381?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Pocket_Bikes_LE&hash=item2a321209c5

cuttsthedon
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
It is in good nick and only a few miles from me (near Hully)!!!

jibberwobble
01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Would have had a punt myself if I hadnt forgotten about it!

cuttsthedon
01-10-2013, 08:50 PM
We could have a historic race if you get one!!! I'll be at the back... :frown:

wedge
02-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Isit me or is there another 2 of these on eBay now? Lol you lot will be the soul collectors soon haha

cuttsthedon
02-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I just saw it and couldn't believe it! I reckon they're breeding! Either that or everyone's clearing out their crap!!!

HugheskiRacing
02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
I just saw it and couldn't believe it! I reckon they're breeding! Either that or everyone's clearing out their crap!!!

Yes the latter

cuttsthedon
02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Are you jealous Hugheski...?

13-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm still here sometimes, let me know if you need any help, I still have mine

13-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Oh the tyres are the same as baby balat as they copied the original efco

Clutch is also the same, don't worry about the housing, the front sprocket is the same as the newer ZPF ones, the threads are different to the polini and bzm housings. Yes you can make an adaptor plate and use a bzm clutch which I did for racing.

cuttsthedon
14-02-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm still here sometimes, let me know if you need any help, I still have mine

Have you got any pics of yours #74?
I'd be interested to see some pics of the original clutch if you've got any...

jibberwobble
14-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Have you got any pics of yours #74?
I'd be interested to see some pics of the original clutch if you've got any...

He's not a number he's a free man efco rider....... can we call you # for short?

Yes pickies please # :)