PDA

View Full Version : New to minimotos

steveglazier
08-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Hi All, we are in Stoke on Trent and New to mini motos bought my lad a minimoto to have some fun on and learn a few mechical skills, This is what we bought new

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x100/100esteveglazier/202112.jpg

If any one can give us more info on the bike please do so
thanks steve

FERRINO
08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Steve - welcome to the forum.

The bike you have bought is a known as a CAG. It's basically a cheap chinese replica version of the quality Euro machines. The bikes are cheaper because they use a generic industrial chainsaw type engine and use poor quality steel tubing/cheap fixings/cheap welding etc etc.

They are fine though as a very basic introduction to the world of mini moto's and to see if your lad likes it. As you mentioned it will give you both good mechanical experience as they quite often require tinkering with to keep them running. If he does enjoy it then it's definitely worth upgrading to a used Euro bike - the difference in quality/performance is night and day and you eventually want to get involved with the racing you would be left for dead using one of these.

You will no doubt run across the usual problems these bikes have such as difficult to start/fuel pooring out of the overflow of the carb/oily smokey running if you use the recommended oil ratio from the manufacturer etc etc - but answers to all these problems have been covered a million times on here since these bikes started becoming popular around 2004-2005'ish. Using the search button on the site will usually turn up lots of responses to any problems you may have.

Cheers
Tony:)

Thanes125
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
eyup duck! Welcome to the forum :)

Looks like a CAG you've got yourself there! (more info on these can be found here –http://www.minimotoscene.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?169-Chinese-Minimotos)
They are pretty temperamental and probably will require a lot of maintenance, but will be good for testing the water and to see whether your lad wants to take it up further.
If he does take to it well and gets the bug then ideally you should start looking for a European made bike (such as Polini, GRC, BMS etc) which you can pick up second hand usually between £200 - £700 mark.

There is not many places to ride round here, Fastlane in Fenton no longer allow mini motos for insurance purposes, so your best bet is Fradley Park in Lichfield. They're nice guys there and all you have to do is ring up a few days in advance to check they are not to busy with karts.

This fourm is a great pool of knowledge, so the best thing to do is use the search function for any queries you might have and 9 times out of 10 you will find an answer!

Take it easy mate,

Thanes125
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
ah you beat me to it tone!! :D

steveglazier
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info. yeh like i said both new to minimotos and did not want to spend a load of money out for it to sit in the shed ,
as i have enough with my own Anglia project, I'm not a mile or two away from Fastlane but may try Fradley Park
cheers steve

Shep0479
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Thinking about going on mon or Tuesday 16th 17th July at fradley park If u fancy a blast. Just need helmet and knee sliders is the minimum for protection. £15 for the day

steveglazier
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Thinking about going on mon or Tuesday 16th 17th July at fradley park If u fancy a blast. Just need helmet and knee sliders is the minimum for protection. £15 for the day

Thanks for the invite