PDA

View Full Version : Might be a silly question...

Aaronhill
10-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I have recently acquired a minimoto, unknown make, looks like a chinese import/ copy from what ive seen via google etc.

Was just wondering, how do i know if its 4 stroke or 2 stroke? Cheers,
Aaron

username taken
10-06-2012, 05:00 PM
most mini moto's are 2 stroke.if there is just a petrol tank then its a 2 stroke as you need to mix the fuel with oil then put it in the tank.if it has a tank and a seperate tank then it would be a 4 stroke.on something like an aprilia rs 125 then you have the seperate tank even though its a 2 stroke but its a mini moto were talking about lol.and in my personal opinion there is no such thing as a silly question.add some piccys if you can :)

EMMSC
10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
how do mate. are you new to the scene. nearly all mini motos are 2 stroke. and all 4 strokes have a DIPSTICK.
rite first things first you need to desifer wether your bike is water cooled or air cooled. if it is air cooled the engine will have fins all around the top half of the engine. or if it is water cooled it will not have any fins around the engine and there will be a radiator infront of the engine.
secondly. if it is water cooled YOU MUST DRAIN THE WATER OUT BEFOR YOU UNDO A SINGLE BOLT ON THE TOP HALF OF THE ENGINE , because if you take the head off with the rad full of water, water will p**s into the engine causing you to do a full strip down and rebuild to prevent you from f*****g up the motor.
thirdly. take off the head which is at the top of the engine on a two stroke, and if you see just a piston and no other moving parts its a 2 stroke. if the motor is a 4 stroke you will see no piston just confusing things called valves.
number 4. make sure you have not lost any seals or gaskets or bolts or nuts and reasemble the top of the motor and refill the rad with water and fire the old girl up. hopeing to god it dosnt make any funny noises.
step 5 if everything is good and you have found out what the engine is. go back in the house and tell your misses how much you love her and then sit her on the kitchen table and then knock the back out of her ;).
step 6 if you dont want to do all of that ring up the bloke you brought it off and ask him wether its a 2 or 4 stroke.

hope that helps. and dont take any afence from what i say its just my stupid sence of humer. cheers charlie

sa 71
10-06-2012, 06:36 PM
some 2 stroke minimoto also have a dipstick lol Look at Jon's in this case the dipstick is on top....:)

Jon 48
10-06-2012, 06:43 PM
haha sam im a dipstick alrite i talk to you.....

you should be able to tell by the sound... is it ring ding ding or sound like a harley.... please please please dont start taking it apart as your told above.... you will never get it back together lol

EMMSC
10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
yes on seccond thoughts dont listen to me as you will only do something wrong. lol

jibberwobble
11-06-2012, 02:55 AM
1- I bet 10p you bike is an aircooled 2 stroke cag (chonk) Have a look through these - http://www.minimotoscene.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?59589-Identify-Your-Bike&highlight=identify+bike

2- Charlie is a dipstick

3- Jon is a very large dipstick

4- Sam wants a dipstick

5- I like dipsticks especially when there in sherbert dib dabs :)

If the bike looks fairly non gunged up I'd try putting some fuel in (50:1 mix) and try it. Report back