PDA

View Full Version : Total noob to mini moto

v6scorpion
31-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Ok just bought one for my son, it didn't work an i was assured just needed a new carburetor as one on had big crack at bottom.Anyway bought one along with some new tire's, spark plug, fuel filter, toe pegs and 2 gaskets.Started to build it back together but isn't starting still, so i thought id test for a spark as rest i think its getting.The spark isnt a big spark but there is a little spark, how good an bright should the spark be?

jibberwobble
31-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Are you looking for a value in lumins or what?

It should be similar to any bike, lawn mower or car if you want a reference.

v6scorpion
31-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Update,looking through this forum its a CAG too.so im guessing it should be a good strong bright spark too as its just noticable is the spark

jibberwobble
01-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Update,looking through this forum its a CAG too.so im guessing it should be a good strong bright spark too as its just noticable is the spark

:confuse::confuse:WTF, It's twighlight zone in here tonight, call the men in white coats!:confuse::confuse:

v6scorpion
01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Anyone help me as to how strong the spark should be,should it be a good hard bright spark or just a little bright ish spark

FERRINO
01-06-2011, 08:50 AM
As Jibber has said - it should just be a normal spark. They can very in brightness - but should still ignite your fuel mix.

Cag's are cheaply made poor quality (on the whole) Chinese bikes. They are cheap to buy because they use inferior quality materials in their construction. This will also apply to the ignition coil. It may not produce as bright a spark as a coil from a genuine bike. What is the gap set to on your plug? One other thing to check is that your plug is actually getting wet when you pull the engine over. If it's not your fuel may not be even reaching the plug (you have got the fuel tap in the right position haven't you?

I suspect your problem will be related to your fuel mixture and spark plug. Are you mixing your fuel and oil at 25:1 as the manual and the mixing bottle suggests? If so your fuel mix is way too oily and will be hampering starting. Drain out the old fuel and re-mix some at 50:1. Also, I suspect you may have bought another standard rubbish Chinese spark plug. If your plug has 'torch' or something similar written on the side of it - bin it and buy an NGK BM6A to replace it with the gap set to 0.5mm.

One last thing to check is how close your coil body is to your flywheel. If the coil pickups are too far away from the magnets on the flywheel it can reduce the intensity of your spark. You want it almost as close as possible without it touching. Remove your pullstart - loosen (don't remove) the 2 screws holding the coil in place. Lift the coil up and slide a thin piece of card underneath and then push the coil against the card. Whilst holding the coil down tighten the screws and the remove the card. This should set your gap about right and rule that out as a potential problem.

Let us know how you get on.

v6scorpion
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Ive just bought 3 mini motos, a dirt bike and 2 big boxs of spares plus bits to build another dirt bike.ive swapped a few bits over as 2 of the bikes start up an my coil pack works on one of the 2 that does work so ruling out the coil an spark.i will get back to this as just off to mix up some petrol/oil mix to keep swapping an testing bits over

v6scorpion
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Update ive got the 1st bike i bought going so all is good so got 3 bikes going now, only problem is one cuts out when you sit on it or any weight before setting off

Whacky32
02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Can you please just post in one thread.

It sounds a clutch issue - try swapping the working one over and hopefully that will sort the issue out

Shep0479
21-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi, I'm also new to mini Moto. I live in reading and I have a bms with polini 4.2. Anyone know any tracks which aren't too far away to practice with other people.

HUNTER 23
21-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Hullavington, jct 17 M4, and im in sw london, so i have to go past you to get there, friday nights, and theres BSB riders there,