PDA

View Full Version : Are GRC going to make there own engines?

Slider
23-02-2002, 04:15 PM
I heard that GRC were going to make their own engines? Anyone know if this is true and, if so, what are the details?

curly
23-02-2002, 08:29 PM
there is a production/super engine currently under development. grc are giving us an engine to test in the next couple of months, but i wouldnt expect to see the engine in production until around christmas time. grc are aiming to make their bike completely polini free and this should just about finish it. the 4.2 engine has to be polini still which is the only downer.

Phoenix Racing
25-02-2002, 07:44 PM
The 4.2 engine only has to be Polini while the rules say so and they manufacture them. Given the current situation of their poor supply how long will that continue for?

26-02-2002, 11:25 AM
If GRC are going to make a production engine, I'm assuming they will make this with more HP than the polini engine (otherwise whats the point!), how can the production class function. Anyone any ideas how this could work? Judi?

Lets hope we don't head back to the dark days when some production bikes were running racing cranks and 5 port barrels.

curly
26-02-2002, 08:08 PM
how does supersport 600 work then, they dont all run honda engines , or all kwak engines. the engine has to be to a certain spec. even 2 polini engines arent identical in performance. 5 ports and race cranks are for supers, those that cheat, cheat themselves. the reason zpf made their own engine and grc are now making their own is because polini cant supply, and i'm sure all the newbies would be greatful for an engine at least, it would be hard work if you had to push your bike for 8 weeks waiting for polini to make the engine for it. polini are also the biggest of the minimoto manufacturers so if polini care about minimotos they will come back with a better engine again. it may be before you new about minimotos but they all used to use industrial engines, then polini came along with their engine made within the rules and it trounced the competion, they didnt ban it though, everyone bought it.

its PRODUCTION class not POLINI class

Jaz
30-03-2002, 05:44 PM
I heard that GRC were going to make their own engines? Anyone know if this is true and, if so, what are the details?

I've thought about this on and off since the news came thru. I am inclined to think that the introduction of more engine manufacturers will be a good thing. It will enable more choice and competition for business that may lead to decreasing bike prices.

I think what Polini have done (and continue to do) for the sport is fantastic but the time has come to open things up in the 4.2 and 6.2 classes as we are starting to see with the supers. After all, from what I understand, you can get different types of Polini 6.2 engine anyway?

I am also looking forward to that ZPF four stroke, take a look in the ZPF forum.

curly
04-04-2002, 06:52 PM
i have also heard that bizeta a making an engine, whether this is for grc or a different one i dont know. one thing i do know is that production rules were - 3 port 40cc factory finish engines with no tuning, no mention whatever about power. if a small manufacture can make a bike with an engine better than polini, and still be making money, what are polini doing. surely the biggest company of the lot should be able to build a better engine and a better bike, they have millions to spend on this kind of development. the reason they dont is because at the moment the dont have to, why make a faster engine when yours is the only one out there.

Jaz
04-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Curly, in case you had not noticed the above post just got you to the next rank :D

curly
04-04-2002, 06:57 PM
cool man.

robbiker
05-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Curly, why is there such a problem with Polini making barrels etc. when they are as big as they are, just wondered about the supply probs. Rob.

curly
06-04-2002, 09:30 AM
polini couldnt really give us an answer, all kinds of things were said, machines were down, moulds had been broke etc etc. but 3 months with 3 port w/c cylinders was a big struggle for everyone and it shouldnt happen. it put the whole minimoto industry on its head. when a company of that size dominates the minimoto engine stakes it shouldnt happen. julians only just got 50cc kits again after 8 months of ordering them. it needs someone else to show them that they are not the only ones that can make engines. i cant wait to see the first ones.