PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar Relines in the UK

Jaz
23-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Just discovered today.

This company are experienced kevlar reliners of minimoto clutches.

They charge 11.75 inc. VAT per shoe on an exchange basis, which compares very reasonably. They will operate by post / carrier and promise a fast turn-a-round. Post is 4.70 inc. VAT Carrier 9.40 inc VAT(next day delivery before 5.30pm)

I have not tried their product so, at this stage, I am unable to give an opinion.

We will conduct a test and give a review in due course.

In the meantime, feel free to contact them and 'try for yourself'.

All we ask is that you let them know that you heard about them from MiniMotoClub and that, once tried, you come back to us with your opinion.

Midland Brakes Ltd
Unit 4
Station Road Industrial Estate
Station Road
Rowley Regis
Warley
West Midlands
B65 0JY

Midlandbrakes@aol.com

Phone: 0121 561 2212 Fax: 0121 561 2285

trevor sellars
25-04-2002, 05:42 PM
jazz,

our polini super ids fitted with Kevlar relines purchased from Nicky at Lucky Devils. They cost from memory 50.00 per set. As you know we have run 4 outdoor race series, 1 indoor race series and all the practices in between with the clutch coming in at around 9300r.p.m. and I've only adjusted them 3 times. Not bad.

Trev

mark1
25-04-2002, 06:42 PM
that sounds alot i brought mine from julian off the shelf for 35

Jaz
25-04-2002, 06:46 PM
mark, we're talking about kevlar. 35 sounds about right for standard material.

If Julian sells kevlar for 35, that's a top tip but first I've heard of it. I thought he was selling bizeta kevlar for about 80.

Jaz
05-05-2002, 01:15 PM
UPDATE ON MIDLAND BRAKES KEVLAR.

I had a problem with the first samples tested. Both sets 'let go' of their linings. The guy at Midland Brakes was very good about it and geniunely concerned to sort the problem. They say they have done over a hundred Kevlar relines without failures of this kind.

I am waiting for them to be be relined again and will report back as soon as I can.

Jaz
05-05-2002, 06:15 PM
Received an email today from Midland Brakes with an explanation

Received shoes, lining failed (de-laminated just above bond line) not bond.

Have spoken with factory & they said that a few linings failed from this
batch. We have destroyed this batch of billets.

Should be ok now, one tip to help bedding in, rub lining with 120 grit emery cloth to remove mould resin.

You will have shoes back by mid week.

Sounds like good service, I'll let you know about the shoes in due course.

Jaz
10-05-2002, 10:48 PM
New relines used tonight with none of the previous problems mentioned above. Even when bedded in the Kevlars seem to slip more than standard but this is easily sorted by putting in bigger weights. For guidance on setting up Kevlar shoes see this (http://www.minimotoclub.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=456) topic.

I will keep this topic updated with their performance.

The shoes that Minimoto Racing do for 35 are Bizeta's answer to Kevlar that are, apparently, a Kevlar 'mix'?

I'm told they last longer than standard but not as long as 'real' Kevlar.

trevor sellars
05-06-2002, 10:47 PM
Jazz, Any update on these relines yet? How are they performing.?

Cheers

trev

Jaz
06-06-2002, 07:58 AM
At the meeting on Sunday I had another billet come away from the shoe. In fairness, this has not happend since Midland Brakes replaced their original faulty batch. I'll stick with them for the time being. I'll feed back the problems to MB and see what they say?

curly
06-06-2002, 06:14 PM
the bizeta kevlar shoes are 35 per pair which includes new circlips, guide blocks and little screws. 80 is the price of a complete clutch. the bizeta shoues are identical to midlan brake relines as saw some of the very first shoes they done. in truth bizeta also had a problem with the billets coming off and they say it was due to an inconsistency of the kevlar and have replaced any shoes that have done that. julian stock is all of a fresh batch now and no probs have yet been reported. the kevlars that nicky does are plus vat and are better, but saying that my bizeta kevlars have not worn out in six months use. reliners be aware - shoes are only good enough to reline twice, after that the pivots wear too much and the play affects how the clutch works.

Jaz
11-06-2002, 12:36 PM
reliners be aware - shoes are only good enough to reline twice, after that the pivots wear too much and the play affects how the clutch works.

Good advice curly. Has anyone looked into, or done, anything about this like having a sleeve inserted. Any thoughts on this?

The latest shoe to de-laminate is going back for examination and I will report back. Midland Brakes assure me that their product is 100% Kevlar.

I received the American 'gruesome grips' today and will test and report as soon as I find time.

Bengaz
11-06-2002, 01:16 PM
Ive used every clutch under the sun and Bizeta Kevlar are the best allround in terms of price/durability. Be very carefull with relining shoes, if the smaller holes are even slightly elongated the shoulder bolts will snap and will definately not last the duration of the lining. I get all year out of a kevlar shoe! I am 15 stone with leathers on.

skunk
11-06-2002, 03:31 PM
on my old grc my cluch shoes were old and were rather wobbly (elongated) so using a lathe i made a very small shim to fit inside the shoe, all i had to do was drill the hole in the shoe bigger by about 3 mm. it worked and who ever has my old bike may still be running them.

skunk.

Bengaz
11-06-2002, 05:36 PM
V good idea, make me some Ken.......

skunk
11-06-2002, 08:49 PM
not at school anymore so i dont have a laithe (or how ever it is spelled)
it wasnt hard though, drill a hole in a metal rod, make sure it is straight and then whittle it down to size.

get me a laithe and i will do it for ya.

skunk

Bengaz
12-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Theres one in the post as we speak Ken...

trevor sellars
28-06-2002, 11:25 PM
dont worry Bengaz I have a lathe I'll try and sort something out. I will also try to make the circlip retaining groove a little deeper as some of the Bizeta clutch mounts have problems with the circlip keeps flying off.

I have had a set of kevlar relines from Midland Brakes with original Polini shoes and no weights in and they are looking very good at the moment. 2 races old and hardly marked at all! even though they are fitted to a super with 12hp at the rear wheel with the clutch coming in around 9600rpm.

Total bill with postage 28.00.
Tel no at top of page 1 of this post.
Trevor.

Bengaz
29-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Good one Trev.
My circlips ALLWAYS jumped off till I saw Degzie covering them in silicone in La Manga 2001. (I think he was a little cheesed at me spying his secrets - cheers derek!) Since then I have had NO circlips come off whatsoever.

trevor sellars
30-06-2002, 11:29 AM
Funny that Bengaz, Degzie uses silicone on his starter pawl as well. Does he work in a silicone manufacturing plant?

Also thanks to Skunk, I've copied your idea and have made a set of pillar sleeves to fit onto the clutch backplate and have made the hole in the clutch shoes 1.5mm bigger. looks good at the moment. I have also got rid of the circlips and have fitted R clips instead. Looks o.k i'll let you know how I get on with them..

Trev

Bengaz
30-06-2002, 11:57 AM
Bring the bits to the next meeting Trev for me to look at/try please.
Thx.

Degzie
30-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Bengaz, I don't mind you spying my secrets at all, its good D ,but remember I still have a few in the bag thought, HA!!!! mrgreen

Trevor, No I don't work in a silicone factory, but it is very good stuff, I think we can ALL agree on that.

See you guys at Whilton Mill?? ? ?

micky arthur
30-06-2002, 04:24 PM
DEGZIE check with semrc but according to bengaz the meeting has been cancelled at whilton mill because the track had double booked with another meeting,(not mini motos).

Degzie
01-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Thanks Mickie, your not as bad as Bengaz says you are mrgreen mrgreen Where are we all going then ? ?

Bengaz
01-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Newark Degzie,
the following Sat/Sun 13/14th July.
Practice 5-10pm Sat.
Racing all day Sun.

micky arthur
01-07-2002, 06:07 PM
I thought you were working your nuts off bengston? bloody sparkies get for doing nowt.

Bengaz
02-07-2002, 06:04 PM
I thought you were working your nuts off bengston? bloody sparkies get for doing nowt.

Is "paid" the word you are looking for mate??????

Jaz
07-07-2002, 08:22 PM
I have had a set of kevlar relines from Midland Brakes with original Polini shoes and no weights in and they are looking very good at the moment. 2 races old and hardly marked at all! even though they are fitted to a super with 12hp at the rear wheel with the clutch coming in around 9600rpm.
Trevor.

What's the latest Trev. I'm finding that they are almost too good because they take ages to bed in!

trevor sellars
07-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Jaz, same as you mate, after 3 practice enenings at Wroughton and Hullavington they have just bedded in nicely, no wear at all to speak of, looking so good I've ordered some more.

trev

trevor sellars
27-08-2002, 10:45 PM
well the Midland clutch is finally knackered. 4 outddor meetings, loads of Friday nights in between. There is still about 1`mm left so perhaps 1 evenings practice left not at all bad for under 30. I think on the face of it the Lucky Devils ones at 50 did last marginally longer.
Bizeta relines lasted about 10 yards. yes they cooked off the starting line. and the pad of friction material flew off during a race, limped home last.
Cheers
Trev

wacjac
28-08-2002, 07:02 PM
trev, why are you payin so much for your relines? midland charge us 10 +vat per shoe.maybe iv got a better telephone voice than u !!! 4 of us run the relines and are very impressed with them and the service. around 4 workin days and there returned to us. not tried any other kevlars tho so i cant really compare them tho.

Nicky
29-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Whilst our re lines may seem on the surface over priced we have been using and researching them for about 3 years now.We have never had either the lining or the glue fail.Mick always uses them on both race bikes and hire bikes it also is very useful as a brake lining for supers.My relining bloke tells me he is the only place you can get the lining and we do about 100 linings a month with him.Sometimes you get what you pay for! :D

trevor sellars
29-08-2002, 09:22 PM
wacjac, my last 2 bills from Midland relines was "28.50 all in, including postage. I did also get my brake disc pads done for 8 per pair or 12 per pair in pure kevlar.
The Lucky Devils definately lasted longer and wore more evenly.
tREV

wacjac
30-08-2002, 06:06 PM
trev, id not thought about gettin the b/pads done.cheers 4 the tip.but i dont go fast enough to need brakes anyway!!!

PRR
19-09-2002, 11:02 PM
:D
hi

just reading with interest in australia a few ppl have reshoed their clutchs and seems to me that they have nothing but trouble with them infact in sydney one guys relined clutch shoes cause a lot of damage to his bike.
Your relines sound very expensive as i can buy carboniam new shoes for the same prive as you pay for relines. can some one enlighten me

micky arthur
21-09-2002, 07:02 PM
replying to question on relines. DONT USE THEM. I only use bizetta kevlar shoes and they last me a full year , I do 2 championships and quite a few practice sessions. I weigh 77 kilo and set the clutch to about 8600rpm, using medium springs. In the UK they cost about 38 pounds I dont know what that is in dollars but for a years racing its bloody cheap, and I am the tightest mini moto racer in the UK(believe it). If you cant get them in AUS then try julian at mini moto racing.co.uk he should be able to sort you out mate.thanks for the question. feel free to ask for any info you want, Ive been doing this 7 years so know most of the does and donts

trevor sellars
21-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Right then micky why is it they dont last in other peoples engines? The Bizeta ones wont last too long in our motors (3 different super motors) and I dont know of anyone getting a full year out of one set of Bizeta shoes. The longest any clutch has survived in onwe of my engines is about 5 months which I thought was very good, lucky Devil Relines. Midland Brakes lasted about 3 months and was removed as it wore unevenly. I have had tips from all and sundry and I cannot make them last any longer.
I have purchased two sets of Bizeta kevlar shoes and neither lasted more than 2 laps. Ask Scottie he helped set them up for me and they fell apart.
trev

micky arthur
22-09-2002, 10:47 AM
THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU RUN A SUPER TREV. LOTS OF HORSEPOWER EQUALS LOTS OF EXTRA SPENDING OF THE OLD BEER VOUCHERS. i SHOULD KNOW iVE SEEN BENGAZ SPEND AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE OVER THE YEARS. BUT TO BE HONEST I DO GET THAT AMOUNT OF LIFE OUT OF A CLUTCH OR MAYBE IM JUST NOT REVING THE BLOODY THING AS MUCH . WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS THAT TO MUCH PLAYING CLEVER BUGGERS IN CAR PARKS AND THE LIKE(you know the thing im talking about, little standing wheelies etc on the line or in the pits does the clutch know good at all). I DONT KNOW WHAT RPM YOUR CLUTCHES ARE BITING AT, I TAKE IT YOU STILL RUNNING THE 50cc, MAYBE ITS JUST A CASE OF TO MUCH HORSEPOWER. IF THATS SO THEN YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO STOP AT HOME AND ILL HAVE A FEW PINTS ON YOUR BEHALF MATE.

Bengaz
25-09-2002, 08:19 PM
I've just put my second set of Bizeta Kevlars in my proddy now. The 1st set were in since Xmas last year on my new RSR.
I also did Spain last year with them.
Hows that for value.
If you overheat the glue on them b4 they are bedded properly, the linings can fall off - so be careful.

Rage Composites
05-04-2003, 05:01 PM
The problem with kevlar linings is that the resin used to bond the kevlar to the shoes becomes soft when heated above the temp at which they were made. You really need to build the heat up in them to further cure the resin, this raises the temp at which it starts to become soft.
Going hell for leather on a new set of shoes may well produce enough heat to soften the resin thus allowing the clutch shoes to fail.

trevor sellars
06-04-2003, 05:31 AM
I just wish it was that easy, too often its the material failing i.e. the glue between the layers of kevlar! Also the kevlar tears away from the backing material. It appears that the kevlar delaminates, and you can see the layers of kevlar appear

Rage Composites
07-04-2003, 04:33 PM
The glue used to basically stick everything together is normally an epoxy.
When cured (heated) the whole thing is good for temp's upto the temp at which it was cured. Above this temp and the epoxy starts to melt (not a liquid but a soft plastic) this then allows the whole thing to de-laminate or come off the shoe or both.
To make it stable at high temps you need to get it upto the working temp in an oven (god knows what the running temp is but it burns your fingers to touch it). More than likely your oven doesn't get that hot so the only method to cure it is to use it on the bike and gradually get it hot and let it cool. I notice that some standard linnings release a sticky glue type substance when new.

It would be intresting to find out at what temp the company cures the kevlar linings. I know brake pads made by DP brakes are cured at a stupid temp.

trevor sellars
09-04-2003, 05:09 PM
The best way is an autoclve oven 100's of degrees plus vacuum as well. Anyone got one? apart from the military who make plane wings etc with theirs.

Rage Composites
09-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Trev-- We have a small auto clave.
Do you have any of the failed kevlar linings still???
I would like to have a look at them.